Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday Origins

There are two possible origins for the name "Good Friday". The first may have come from the Gallican Church in Gaul (modern-day France and Germany). The name "Gute Freitag" is Germanic in origin and literally means "good" or "holy" Friday. The second possibility is a variation on the name "God's Friday," where the word "good" was used to replace the word "God," which was often viewed as too holy to be spoken aloud.

Taken from
ShareFaith   (I looked at many sites, most had similar explanations.)

I knew why it was "Good Friday" for me, but I didn't know where the name originated.  "Good" is hardly a word that I'd use to describe the horrific ordeal that Jesus endured and I often find it difficult to even use "good" in my discussions or thought processes about this Holy day.  The Bible often replaces "God" with "good" in scripture and this explanation is one that makes the most sense to me.

Regardless of the name, we know this to be the day that Jesus gave up His life for all of the sins of the world.  How do you feel about taking the blame for something that you didn't do?  It's a rare day when I'll take the consequences for someone elses' bad behavior.  As with many of my posts, it's just hard for me to fathom the sacrifice that Jesus made for me....I'm unworthy of any such act of selfless love, yet I know that He died for me.  He died for you.  He died in order for all of mankind to receive the gift of eternal life.  I'm blessed....I'm blessed beyond understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment