Sunday, March 25, 2012

"The poorest person I know is the one who has nothing but money."
J.D. Rockefeller, Jr.

"Greed is the logical result of the belief that there is no life after death.  We grab what we can while we can however we can and then hold on tight."
Sir Fred Catherwood

"Content makes poor men rich: discontent makes rich men poor."
Benjamin Franklin

All of these quotes came from church this morning as we continue studying the Book of James, Chapter 5.  Fifteen years ago, I don't think I would have fully understood these quotes as I made adjustments that I looked at as being "poor me" adjustments while I picked up the pieces after a divorce and chronic illnesses (I still have the illnesses.....).  Money certainly makes things easier....no doubt about that, but I'm leading a much fuller life now as a member of the poorer crowd.  My priorities, thankfully, have taken a 180 turn.  And as I get older and older, all of the "things" that I have held onto for dear life no longer have the grasp on me that they once had.  Things are only things and will all be thrown away some day after I'm long gone.

So I try to live each day with gratitude as I sleep in a warm (or cool) home, get a drink of water out of my faucet, a snack from my fridge, and know that the Lord provides ALL that I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment