Thursday, April 28, 2011

For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.
(Romans 8:3-4)

For whatever reason, I was looking at all of the dandelions in my yard today and thinking of them as worldly sins. (Yes, this sounds a bit odd.) I was telling a friend about the yard treatments that I apply and things that I do to take care of my yard when she said, "your yard must look pretty good." Well, it doesn't and the reason is because I'm the only one in my area that applies yard treatments to prevent the weeds and dandelions. No matter what I do to my own yard, I'm going to get dandelions from the neighbors. I'm surrounded by their dandelions and they creep right into my yard, no matter how hard I try to prevent them from invading.

OK, back to sin (dandelions) .... in spite of my efforts, I'm going to be exposed and surrounded by worldly sins, not to mention that I have an ongoing crop of my own sins growing and thriving. I can't fight them off by myself, but with the strength and support of the Holy Spirit, I can put forth a worthy battle. Take that, you dandelions!

1 comment:

  1. Jeanie, I appreciate your analogy of dandelions and sin. It helps me see the struggle more clearly. God gives us such incredible applications through His creation. Thank you for this one!

    ReplyDelete